My name is Mike and I’m a recovering Lymphomaniac. It’s been six weeks since my last chemo binge. According to my most recent CT scan I’m tumor free but I don’t take this for granted. I continue to work hard at staying healthy.
Lymphos don’t have as much energy as they used to, so I shortened the typical 12-step recovery program by half.
1. I admitted I was NOT powerless over my disease – cancer cannot be controlled but it can be attacked.
2. I came to believe that a Power greater than myself could restore me to health – and did!
3. I made a decision to turn my life over to the care of God and oncologists as I understood them – with help from Google.
4. I made a searching physical inventory of my habits, listing all substances that had harmed me and determining to avoid them as much as possible – without becoming an anchorite.
5. I sought through prayer and meditation to improve my conscious contact with God – still working on it.
6. Having had a physical restoration as a result of these steps, I tried to encourage others to practice these principles – hence this blog.
Recovery starts with self but it’s not a self-help program. We need the good graces of others to survive. And without others, who would want to?