Test your knowledge of some of the world’s oldest and most misunderstood diseases:
- What disease afflicts 50 million people worldwide, carries a worse stigma than cancer or HIV, and can be successfully treated—but only if you live in the right country?
- What illness brings with it an increased likelihood of contracting other diseases and a premature death rate that’s three-to-six times higher than for the general population?
- Almost 80% of people living with what malady have no access to effective treatment—it’s 90% in Africa?
- The victims of what condition were once considered demon possessed or insane, and in the 18th and early 19th centuries were often locked in asylums?
- What disorder do popular musicians Elton John, Prince, Neil Young and Lil Richard have in common with political leaders like Julius Caesar, Pope Pius IX, Vladimir Lenin and Prince John?
- Normally not allies, China and Russia recently cosponsored a World Health Organization (WHO) resolution to address the global burden of what disease?
These are trick questions in that they all have the same answer—Epilepsy.
I’m working with a group of dedicated professionals to help change the landscape when it comes to the treatment of epilepsy worldwide. Stay tuned for details.